Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Peacocks & Flamingos....

Before school got out in May, I was able to go on my son's field trip to the Zoo. We had a good time and got to see a lot of animals up and moving around. One of the best parts of the day was when we got to see the flamingos. Before, when I've gone to the the zoo, the flamingos where in a shallow pond. They would be in their most notable pose, that being standing on one leg and the other folded up beneath its body. This year they were not. We found the flamingos in a grassy enclosure. They were just walking around. Then all of the sudden, as if they knew three 5k classes were watching, they started squawking. I'd never heard any flamingo make a sound. So needless to say I was a little startled. One flamingo would start squawking, then they all would start. What happen next was something that I had never seen before. They would spread their wings out and start flapping them. These lovely pink birds have the most unusual wings. The ends of their feathers look as if they've been dipped in black paint. Absolutely beautiful. But then, I think the birds forgot that their was an audience of 5 and 6 year olds watching them. Because several started necking and doing their mating dance!! I thought we were fixing to get more education at the zoo than we had paid for. Luckily, for us, the flamingos did not procreate in front of our kids.

Right behind the flamingo was a peacock. I love peacocks. During all the excitement of the flamingos, the peacock decided to strut his feathers as well. I was so excited!!! It had been several years since I'd seen a peacock strut his feathers.

Isn't God just incredible?? Sometimes we get soo busy with our lives that we miss the small things and realize how incredible his creations are.

One of the first pieces that I made when I began this journey was one of a peacock. Over the last year it's been a popular choice for customers. If you, like me, love the beauty of the peacock, allow me to create a memory for you using your kids' hand and foot prints.
.

"...hide me in the shadow of your wings." Psalm 17:8








No comments: