Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Lesson Learned from Jonah!

Jonah was a prophet to Isreal, but God spoke to him and told him to go on a mission trip to Ninnevah. Not wanting to exactly go that route, Jonah went in the opposite direction. We all have heard how he made another detour and ended up in the whale's belly. The Bible study Jonah: Navigating a Life Interrupted, is all about having your life interrupted by something or someone. Jonah had his life interrupted when God called him to go to Ninnevah. I, definitely can relate to having your life interrupted. However, this study has shown me that it's all in how you view the interruption. Priscilla Shirer gives these two equations :



Insignificant Person + Insignificant Task = Interruption

VS.

Significant Person + Significant Task = Divine Intervention



To me, that second equation is so profound and hit me like a ton of bricks. It made me realize that my life has not been interrupted. Although it may appear to everyone else looking in -- They see a fulltime practicing attorney quit her job because of the economy. But I hear God saying "quit your job" and trust me. (and finally after months of disobedience, I obeyed.)

Until this study, I felt interrupted. However, I now see my life as having a divine intervention!! How exciting is that? I'm getting to do the things I love, yet fulfilling God's calling on my life right now.



Bottom line --- the next time you feel that your life has been interrupted, stop and consider the significant person and significant task at hand. You may have an opportunity to find your own divine intervention!



"...for it is God who works in you to will and act according to his good purpose." Phil. 2:13

1 comment:

Debbie McCloud said...

My bible study this fall is Jonah. I can't wait to go through this book. As always Priscilla Shirer will present this study as it fits into our everyday life. You do not have to tell me about having your life interrupted. About how in one day life as you knew it was gone and changed forever. But, that was God's plan for my life before I was born. I had and still have a lot of FAITH. The interruption wasn't in my plans but it was in God's plans. When I gave it all to God, things started to change for the better. I feel as if a bear is chasing me around a tree everyday and with God in my life I will win the fight.GOD IS GOOD!!! LIFE WITH GOD IS AWESOME!! Always remember things will happen in God's time not your time. He is in control.