Monday, February 8, 2010

My Favorite Valentine's Day

I love Valentine's Day! I got engaged 14 years ago on Valentine's Day!! (Still married too!) Although this memory is special, my best Valentine's was last year (2009).
I asked for comments the other day about a special Valentine memory. Well, today I'm gonna share mine.

Usually, my man & myself don't go all out and get crazy & spend lots of money on Valentine's Day. Last Year was the exception!! I planned an adult (without kiddos) weekend to Nashville. My man was not at all fired up like I was, but he was excited about getting out of town. It was the activities that I had scheduled that had him concerned. Somehow, I had talked him in to going to see Rick Springfield at the Wildhorse Saloon. The only thing was, Rick was there Friday & Saturday night. My man would ONLY agree to one night of this torture. I, however, decided that I should attend both nights!!!

So, that Friday night, (the 13th) I headed out to the concert. My ticket had me sitting at a table with 11 complete strangers. If you know me, you won't find this hard to believe...by the time the concert began, I knew everyone at my table, where they were from and how long they had been a fan! While mingling with the people at my table, one of my "new" companions offered me a backstage pass. Let me just tell you, I had dreamed of a chance to meet Rick, and now, I finally had the opportunity to make my dream a reality. Well, I don't need to take the time to tell you that I was all over that!!

The moment came. The concert was over. Rick's handlers were herding us through like cattle. I was so pumped. While waiting in line to meet Rick, I ended up calling my 94 yr old grandmother who is a huge Rick fan. Finally, it was my turn. As I approached, I told Rick that I had my 94 year old grandmother on the phone and would he talk with her? He grabbed my cell and was like "hey, granny!" I don't remember much about the encounter that night, but I do remember being like a teenage girl with a crush on her teen idol. I was star strucked. I just kept saying, "I've loved you since I was nine." Okay, I know. I couldn't come up with anything else. No accolades about how I love his lyrics and music. Nothing but "I just love you."

Apparently, in the meet & greet world, the term "One & One" is standard lingo. I, however, was unfamiliar to this term. What I thought was going to be this in depth visit with my teen idol, turned out to be a blur. I soon found out what a One & One was. Needless to say, I got my one autograph and my one photograph. Then the moment was over, but not without me floating out of the room on cloud nine.

My man was waiting for me out front of the Wildhorse Saloon. I'm sure that I talked his ears off about the night. My "new" bff had given me her backstage pass bracelet for me to have for the next night. I kept telling my man that he could go backstage the next night and meet Rick.
He just didn't seemed to be as pumped about it as I was. (I wonder why?)

Saturday (Valentine's Day) arrived. That evening, we headed back to the Wildhorse Saloon. I was somewhat subdued this evening for I didn't "talk to strangers" at my table. Anyone that knows my man, knows that I can sometimes embarress him with my outgoing-ness. So I was trying to be on my best behavior this evening. However, I don't think I was successful. I was culled out severaly times by security for dancing in my chair. Well, at least I tried.

The concert was great. It did not matter that I had just seen the same performance less than 24 hours earlier. Even my man enjoyed himself, however, when the concert was over he told me he didn't care to go backstage with me. "What?" I just didn't understand, but I was not going to let that stop me. So once again, the handlers prodded us through the stalls. This night, I was more calm and relax, and prepared. I had bought a tshirt for him to autograph. I wanted so much to soak it all in, to remember ever word Rick & I exchanged. Nope, again a blur. I do remember telling him that I was the girl from last night that had him talk to her grandmother. He laughed and said, "oh yeah, I remember you!" I also remember that I did NOT keep on telling him how much I loved him this time. So maybe at some level I saved a little face! Too soon, my time was up. I was rushed out of the room and back into real life.

I met my man down stairs. He was happy & I was happy!! Live was grand! We finished our night off walking up and down music row and peeping in the bars to see what was playing. "Country music" -- Real country music. This Valentine's weekend was so wonderful. Even my man said he'd like to come back next year. Folks, that's huge. Thanks for letting me share.

"Make a joyful noise unto God...."Psalm 66:1

No comments: